Thursday, January 28, 2016
More on the new Cosmic Trigger book
I bought the new Cosmic Trigger I: The Final Secret of the Illuminati ebook late Tuesday night. Here are some initial details:
• It's priced at $9.99 — not super cheap, but not expensive, either. The publication date is listed as Jan. 23, although I didn't notice it until the announcement was sent out. The paperback listed on Amazon is still the New Falcon edition, but the new Hilaritas Press edition is supposed to be out soon.
• The new "Trigger" and two more titles which will be issued Real Soon Now, Prometheus Rising and Quantum Psychology, were issued by Hilaritas Press, the new publishing imprint of the Robert Anton Wilson Trust. (The official website, with lots of details about the venture, has just launched.) There are a few RAW titles which are still being published by commercial publishers (such as Illuminatus!), but the H.P. website lists 19 RAW titles which will be reprinted. You can check the list to see where your favorites rank in the pecking order. Hilaritas says it also "will be looking for adventurous authors with new works." Be sure to explore the Hilaritas Press website.
• Nothing appears to be omitted from the new edition of Cosmic Trigger. (The original Timothy Leary foreword is included). But depending on which previous edition of Cosmic Trigger you own or have read, you will get one or two bonus pieces.
Everyone gets the new introduction written by British author John Higgs, which explains why Cosmic Trigger, like the works of Geoffrey Chaucer, Jane Austen and Charles Dickens, is a great book which both is utterly of its time and transcends its time. I am a big fan of John's, as you may have noticed, but I thought his piece was particularly good.
The only copy of Cosmic Trigger I've ever seen or read is my March 1978 Pocket Books mass market paperback edition, so I was pleasantly surprised ("delighted" would be a better word) to see that Robert Anton Wilson wrote a new Preface for the book in 1986, which restates key points of his philosophy and answers some common questions about the book. "From the date of the first printing to the present, I have received more mail about Cosmic Trigger than about anything else I ever wrote ... " he writes. The "new" preface won't be new to anyone who has the New Falcon edition, but it was new to me.
• Artist Scott McPherson of amoeba fame did the fine new cover for Cosmic Trigger and also did new covers for Prometheus Rising and Quantum Psychology, which I look forward to seeing.
• Sign up for the email newsletter at the Hilaritas Press website to obtain new announcements. Of course, any news will be noted here.
• There is apparently no Nook edition of the new Cosmic Trigger ebook, or editions is any other format, other than Amazon Kindle. You can read the new Kindle edition on basically any device (smart phone, tablet, computer) using one of the free Amazon Kindle apps if you don't own a Kindle.
• The planned new Cosmic Trigger reading group for this website will be using the new edition of the book. More details soon, after the paper edition comes out.